Sunday, December 12, 2004

Its Perfect Weather for Sailing

I went to bed at 4 this morning. At that time, you could already hear the wind whipping around the end of the building which is our wing and shrieking into the first floor vortex under our window where it was held captive by the corner of the building. Silly me, I thought it would dissipate by morning. Waking up at noon, the wind had not abated, nor was it displaying any signs of doing so. According to the internet {hooray weatherbug?} wind speeds were around 20 mph with a wind chill factor of 19 degrees gusting at 38 mph. YEAH RIGHT! That's down in Mankato, 10 miles away, down hill, away from the junction of the two rivers, and in a calmer area. On top of this hill, {sorry, you can't convice me that this is the "edge of a valley"} gusts had to be in the 60's. My baggy JNCO pants threatened to act as sails sweeping me off my feet, balancing the lift of my unzipped vest that flared out behind me like a pair of wings. Getting out of a car was fun, well, requiring a lot of energy at least. I didn't even have to close the door behind me. Not to worry, it isn't so hard to walk in wind. A slight lean will compensate for any balance inequalities. Simply beware when turning corners. That's when you will fall over! This miserable weather has made many girls fearful of walking outside and across the parking lot to the Caf. So, what do my roommate and I do? We open all the windows and watch our posters pull away from the walls, our pictures bend in half, and our plants nearly uproot. We must be weather elementals! Running shrieking in the rain, slipping, sliding and taking pictures in the cold, and inviting the wind to come inside and play, we aren't your run of the mill beings. All I have to say is: Its fun! But I wouldn't want to live a life of it. I will be like the National Guard, on call to play with the most serious of weather.